Minutes of Consultative Meeting held on 20th April 2022 via Zoom
Present David Hawley, Kelvin Allen, Seumas Halliday, John Wadham, Chris Reeds, Andrew Pattison, Brian Balderson, Don Moore, Viktor Yzikas, Simon Bonney, Darin Alberry, Mike Storey, Sam Richardson
Apologies Oliver Smith, Ray Torrington & Hugh Bunker
Matters arising from the previous meeting
Darren agreed to distribute a listing of vacant EA riverine fisheries across the area. This is still outstanding and proving difficult to collate with estates. But will be completed in the next week or so.
John Wadham to raise the issue of holding a valid rod licence at a future AWS liaison meeting. Ongoing discussion.
John Wadham to contact Emily Smith Environment Lead at AT with regard to the changes in reservoir ecology. Completed
Regional/National AT update.
Kelvin presented the following: See Link
Kelvin highlighted the resultant impact from the loss of FEO warranted officers, due to ill health. Furtively the AT relationships with the Police Wildlife Crime teams, have helped fill the gap in legal enforcement actions. This along with some excellent work by our voluntary bailiffs are continuing to make progress on this continuing element of illegal angling practices. He highlighted the recent award for Roy Bridson from Whittlesea and his community work within VBS.
Much has been in the news in the state of our rivers recently and Kelvin highlighted the need to keep the pressure on. The angling trust has it’s own Anglers Against Pollution Campaign promoting the issue.
Kelvin talked about the 2022 program which will consist of a full 22 event coaching program the same as 2021.
He has secured a further grant from within Nenescape to deliver a series of events at Chester House near Wellingborough this summer, looking at health and wellbeing and the angling heritage within the Nene Valley.
Darin Alberry is the recently promoted technical specialist fishery officer for the N&L area.
Darin explained his background in fishery management, right across the world and comes to the area, after a 4 year sint in the midlands as an EA fishery officer.
Using a lengthy detailed report attached provided by Hugh Bunker, Darin gave an insight into his vision and objectives for fisheries across Northants and Lincs. It available here.
Simon Bonney presented a detailed report on many enhancements across the Welland.
Viktor gave an update on two projects on the Nene, resilient rivers program.
Seamus & Don – Mid Nothants Fly Fishes
The team delivered a successful contribution at last weekend’s Kelmarsh show, Don was disappointed that despite previous support from AT on this event, nothing was forthcoming this year. Kelvin agreed to investigate with James Roche. Fishing report is here.
AP Kelvin to investigate and report back
John provided a compressive update to the meeting as attached. He highlighted the recent study in invertebrates undertaken and how the ecology of the reservoir has evolved over time. He also discussed the recent policy from AWS to ban fishing some the South Dam at Grafham Water. Johns Report Here
Andrew – Nene Anglers
He reported the club had welcomed a meeting with Paul Thomas recently and put VBS into a good light. He also wanted the promote a new team competition being held on the Nene on the 16th July 2022 named the Middle Nene Team Championships See attached notice.
Chris – Grantham Fisheries
Chris has agreed to represent the club at the forum and is assisting the club with mentoring, coaching and on habitat improvements.
Brian – Boston and District
Brian highlighted the moves within the club on coaching development and local ongoing support from lincs police on a number of fronts.
The date of our next meeting:
11th June 10:00 Kettering Face to Face (Subject to EA agreement)
Location Nene House Nene House, Pytchley Lodge road,
Kettering, NN15 6JQ