Minutes of Consultative Meeting held on 19th Jan 2022

Present  Ray Torrington David Hawley, Kelvin Allen,  Seumas Halliday, John

Wadham, Martin Barnett, Chris Reeds, Andrew Pattison Hugh Bunker

Apologies Oliver Smith, Brian Balderson,  Paul Thomas (AT), Don Moore, Ray Richardson

Matters arising from the previous meeting

Darren agreed to distribute a listing of vacant EA riverine fisheries across the area. This is still outstanding, but will be completed in the next week or so.

David to arrange meeting with Thomas Enright to discuss enforcement Completed meeting took place on the 8th Dec and the outcomes discussed later.

John Wadham to raise the issue of holding a valid rod licence at a future AWS liaison meeting. Ongoing discussion.

John Wadham to contact Emily Smith Environment Lead at AT  with regard to the changes in reservoir ecology. Ongoing discussion.

 Regional/National AT update.

Kelvin presented the following: See Link

Kelvin started with the sad news that Wellingborough’s top coach Pat Byrrne sadly passed away on the 8th Jan. He will be greatly missed and has written a tribute on the AT website. https://anglingtrust.net/2022/01/17/pat-byrne/

Kelvin and David reported on feedback from the meeting held with the Agency on the 8th Dec 2021 focussed on N&L ability to sustain enforcement. Whilst we understand that serious illness does happen, their should be continency and support to cover this. It has been the case that almost zero warranted officers have been available for many months and the team stressed that if VBSII had been adopted potentially cover would be available. But it seems there remains little appetite for this within the area. With an even more strange governance arrangement that area’s can opt out of such schemes. So one wonders how this can be called a national scheme! Paul Thomas to feed this situation back into the national discussion.  Despite this Paul continues with Lincs police to arrange joint patrols, now supported via phone to one of the area FEO’s remotely.

Much has been in the news in the state of our rivers recently and Kelvin highlighted the need to keep the pressure on. The angling trust has it’s own Anglers Against Pollution Campaign promoting the issue.

The neighbouring consultative on the Lower Ouse LOFFCA has agreed to reform under the title of the West Anglia Angling Consultative and broadened its reach across the entire Ouse system, aligned to the EA area boundary. It will meet in Cambridge.


Kelvin talked about the 2022 program which will consist of a full 22 event coaching program the same as 2021.

He has opened discussions on the potential for a Nenescape II scheme as the Nenescape Board are keen to extend the scheme moving forwards. One option is to look at a dedicated coaching school for angling at Chester House on the River Nene. Kelvin will discuss this further in light of Pat’s passing, but it would be a fitting legacy in Pat’s name.

EA Update

Hugh Bunker and James Hooker gave an excellent report on all things happening in fisheries. Most welcome. It available here.

Two Fact Sheets on two Species discussed for reference are attached.

Dreissena bugensis (Quagga mussel)

Argulus mongolianus

Welland Catchment Report

Chris has moved on from WRT but sent a final report here.  His post is currently being advertised

Club Updates

Seamus – Mid Nothants Fly Fishes

Monthly coaching will resume in March, it’s the clubs 70th anniversary year and the Kelmarsh Show is planned for 2022.  Fishing report is here.

Ray – Deeping St James

He reported their membership had increased during 2021

They are continuing with survey and monitoring on their Horseshoe lake with continued concerns on fish health, with assistance from the EA.

Their club matches have been well attended.

Stillwater Reports

John provided a compressive update to the meeting as attached. He highlighted the recent study in invertebrates undertaken and how the ecology of the reservoir has evolved over time.  He also discussed the recent policy from AWS to ban fishing some the South Dam at Grafham Water. Johns Report Here

Image left is from the margins at Rutland Water and the vast volumes of Quagga mussels.

Andrew – Nene Anglers

He reported the club had welcomed a meeting with Paul Thomas recently and put VBS into a good light. Additional signage was welcomed.

Martin – Fishing the Welland

Martin reported his best ever roach caught recently on the Welland of 2lb 5oz. He also welcomed the additional enforcement patrols and press coverage.

AOB None

The date of our next meeting:

20th April 19:00 via zoom

25th June 10:00 Kettering Face to Face (Subject to EA agreement)

File Type: pdf
Categories: NWWCA
Downloads: 1