Wensum Stakeholder Workshop and Exhibition

Wensum Stakeholder Workshop and Exhibiti...

After two years of effort and much discussion, we have set a date to bring all the stakeh...

East  Anglia Water Situation Reports 2019

East Anglia Water Situation Reports 2019

Please see the attached montly Water Situation Reports for East Anglia.  See the att...

WWG meeting 9th July 2019

WWG meeting 9th July 2019

Minutes from the meeting which took place at Great Witchingham Village Hall on the 9th Ju...

River Wensum Restoration Startegy Newsletter Spring 2019

River Wensum Restoration Startegy Newsle...

See the attached latest restoration news from the river river Wensum commission...

River Ouse - Bedford to Brampton 2018

River Ouse - Bedford to Brampton 2018

Please find attached the 2018 Survey report for the River Great Ouse - Bedford...

River Ouse - Newport Pagnell to Bedford 2017-updated

River Ouse - Newport Pagnell to Bedford...

Please find attached the 2017 Survey report for the River Great Ouse - Newport...

Eastern Regional Shield 2019 Entry and Information Sheet

Eastern Regional Shield 2019 Entry and I...

Eastern Region Shield 2019 I have secured the Middle Level Main Drain for this year’s com...

Summer advice for fishery managers

Summer advice for fishery managers

Prolonged dry weather can affect fish stocks and the fisheries they support. Where water...

wwg

wwg

wwg header 2

After two years of effort and much discussion, we have set a date to bring all the stakeholders together to agree a new goverenance structure to support the river and its challenges. The work in bringing together the Wensum Past Present and Future report, led us to believe anglers alone can't resolve the rivers challenges. This is all about working together for the better good. .

River Wensum Stakeholder Workshop 8th Oct 2019

Bawdeswell Village Hall , Reepham Road, Bawdeswell,  Norfolk, NR20 4RU

10:30     Wensum: Past, Present & Future Exhibition with Evidence, Gallery & Coffee

11:30     Workshop starts

13:00     Lunch

14:00     Group Syndicates

16:00     Close 

Attending?  Please book you availability using this link: 

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/wensum-stakeholders-workshop-tickets-67205727139

 Drop In Exhibition.  An exhibition of artwork, articles and reference material from the Wensum will be available for the public to view throughout the day in the Activities room, as a public drop in centre.

 Workshop Arrangements. 

The Workshop will be held in the Main Hall.  Delegates will join structured themed groups, aligned to existing activities including morphology, flow, diffuse pollution, point source pollution, fisheries, invertebrates, and monitoring.

The day will commence with an introduction to the proposed Catchment Based approach.  The afternoon session will allow delegates, in groups, to contribute proposals and ideas regarding Project Governance, Objectives and Measurable Outcomes.

For reference, the River Wensum: Past, Present and Future paper and proposals circulated in June 2019 for consultation in July 2019 are available here.

Stakeholder Engagement is Key.  For the day to achieve most benefit, engagement and representation from across all stakeholders is essential.  The stakeholder community has clearly spent much effort in the previous decade on the River Wensum with varied levels of success in making improvements in addressing Water Framework Directive issues.  This a rare chance to make a difference in creating change in how the river is managed going forward to sustain what is, in our opinion, the East of England’s most precious river.

In Summary.  We look forward in seeing either yourself and/or a representative from your organisation on the 8th Oct 2019. Please book your place via the following link: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/wensum-stakeholders-workshop-tickets-67205727139

Kind Regards,

Kelvin & Cass

Kelvin Allen Chair Wensum Working Group

Cass Singleton Member Wensum Working Group

 

wwg header 2

Minutes from the meeting which took place at Great Witchingham Village Hall on the 9th July 2019

The minutes are available download below.

 

wwg header 2

See the attached latest restoration news from the river river Wensum commissioned by the EA and NE.

 

 

wwg header 2

 

The document led from an investigation of issues impacting on roach within the Wensum, but as members Tim Ellis and Cass Singleton soon found. The surrounding catchment is having a real impact on the river, much of which was heavily reported and investigated back in 2009/10, but even with 1000's of pages of documented evidence little or no progress has been made on these core issues. Indeed some are now saying that with reduced highways maintenance, reduction in agriculture subsidies and many farmers converting to maize production, things have actually got worse.

With invertebrates reported by both S&TA and Buglife as at an all time low on the Wensum and seemingly poor levels of fish, any restoration works exposing clean gravels and back channels creating improved habitat, soon gets choked with silt and pollution and its back to square one, without fixing the core source of the issue.   

The doument gives a potted history of the Wensum and the issues it faces today, with a set of recommendations on how to moce this forward using a more consolidated approach, building on the Catchment Based Approach that has brought success to many river valleys across England.

The presentaion is available in the downloadable attachment below.

 

 

wwg header 2

Minutes from the meeting which took place at Great Witchingham Village Hall on the 9th April 2019

The minutes are available download below.

 

 

 

 

wwg header 2

 

Kelvin Allen Chair of the Wensum Working Group has met with key stakeholders and presented a case of a consolidated approach in dealing with defused pollution and restoration from the current state of affairs.

The presentation led from an investigation of issues impacting on roach within the Wensum, but as members Tim Ellis and Cass Singleton soon found. The surrounding catchment is having a real impact on the river, much of which was heavily reported and investigated back in 2009/10, but even with 1000's of pages of documented evidence little or no progress has been made on these core issues. Indeed some are now saying that with reduced highways maintenance, reduction in agriculture subsidies and many farmers converting to maize production, things have actually got worse.

With invertebrates reported by both S&TA and Buglife as at an all time low on the Wensum and seemingly poor levels of fish, any restoration works exposing clean gravels and back channels creating improved habitat, soon gets choked with silt and pollution and its back to square one, without fixing the core source of the issue.   

There has been some positive feedback following the presentation and a number of groups now want to discuss a more consolidated approach, building on the Catchment Based Approach that has brought success to many river valleys across England.

Time will only tell, if this is the start of a journey of improvement.

The presentaion is available in the downloadable attachment below.

 

 

wwg header 2

See the attached previous histroic papers on the river Wensum fishery commissioned by the EA

 

 

wwg header 2

Minutes from the meeting which took place at Great Witchingham Village Hall on the 8th Jan 2019

he minutes are available download below.

Agenda

Matters Arising

Action Jez Wood to distribute the existing EA report on point source siltation.

Action Colin to liaise with Cass on a suitable site visit.

Action Kelvin to write to NRT and inform them of the position with Sonde deployments.

BASG Update                                                    Kelvin

Donations                                                           Kelvin

EA Update                                                          Jez

Roach Project                                                    Tim

Siltation and Lyng Silt Trap                            Colin

Cormorant Predation                                     Roger/Kelvin

Sayers Meadow proposals                           All

Balsham Bash                                                    Kelvin

Norwich Western Link consultation         Kelvin

Norwich City Corridor Strategy                   Kelvin

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

wwg header 2

Minutes from the meeting which took place at Great Witchingham Village Hall on the 9th Oct 2018

The minutes are available download below.

Agenda

Matters Arising

Action: Kelvin agreed to discuss with Phil Humm a role on exploring funding for the Wensum.

Action: Kelvin to write to the EA (Jez) to get Dennis a position on the Norfolk Crayfish Group.

Action: Kelvin to write to Richard Cooper for his support and input.

Action: Jez Wood to investigate timing and location advice from the EA.

Action: Kelvin to provide current EA sampling location waypoints.

Norwich City Corridor Strategy

Lenwade RDF Planning Application and Objection

EA Update

Roach Project

Way forward on Sonde Deployment

Siltation

Cormorant Predation

John Bailey

 

Future Meeting Dates to be held Great Witchingham Village Hall.

8th Jan 2019

9th Apr 2019

9th Jul 2019

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

wwg header 2

Minutes from the meeting which took place at Taverham Mills Fishery 23rd July 2018

The minutes are available download below.

Agenda

BASG has agreed to hold all of its sub group committee meetings before the end of July.

I have set up a doodle poll for the first Wensum Working Group under the governance of BASG here.

These initial meetings have a common set of agenda items on governance, plus some focus on developing Wensum projects.

BASG Standard Sub Committee Agenda July 2018

Standing Committees

Sustain Group

  • Access Group

  • Environmental Group

  • Education Group

  • Wensum Group

  • Bure Group

  • Yare Group

  • Waveney Group

Introductions

Governance

All committees have the right to explore anything, indeed we need to encourage thoughts and ideas. However all items which require cash spend, will require formal approval from the management board and appropriate funding source agreed.

Wensum Working Group

BASG Director                   Kelvin Allen

BASG Members                Tim Ellis, Colin Howlett & Nick Cheeseman

Appointment of Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary

All meetings need to be recorded and documented actions agreed with timescales and owners.

Volunteer roles

We have started to capture and assign roles and duties across our volunteers, Allan Kirby will take on the role as Volunteer/Membership Manager. We would like each Sub Committee to lead on the appointment of people into specific roles within their committee boundaries.

So we will have leads for example on Health and Safety, Boat Safety, Climate Change, Tagging, Salinity Monitoring, Slipways etc etc.

Agency position of supporting Avon style Roach Project               

Deployment of two Sondes to record various elements                

Silt Trap potential                                                                                      

Norwich City Corridor Angling Strategy                                                 

Lenwade RDF Application Update                                                          

Wensum Flow and linkage to Yare Salinity                                           

AOB


Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/45/d383291860/htdocs/regforum-2019/components/com_k2/templates/default/user.php on line 260
Page 1 of 2